RSR Justice are currently recruiting for Bail Information Officers (PSO Grade) to work in the North West on a contract basis for 6 months in a prison setting. The roles will be based in either HMP Cardiff or HMP Swansea.
The purpose of this six-month pilot project to test whether having a bail service operating in prison settings will increase the number of those individuals receiving conditional bail.
Main duties and responsibilities
Targeting and Prioritisation
- Using your time well and being efficient are key in being an effective BIO who will provide a proactive service.
- Check the overnight court list for ALL potential bail cases who are appearing from custody.
- Within prisons, BIOs should obtain the remand list from P-Nomis and apply targeting criteria to prioritise those most eligible.
- Confirm if the defendant is currently/previously known to probation. Seek opinion/information from the responsible officer.
- Licence cases: confirm if the defendant is going to be recalled. If yes, then they would not meet the criteria for bail.
- If you have access to the Mental Health Diversion scheme, they may also be screening defendants in custody for referrals and diversion.
- Check Probation databases to see if the defendant is known, risk level and any safeguarding alerts, on a current order and if so, their compliance with that order.
- Liaise with the defendant’s representatives prior to their appearance;
- Liaise with CPS and Police to ascertain if they will be opposing bail; discuss any suitable conditions for bail that could be imposed. Obtain MG7 from Police if available.
- Liaise with BASS and other court officials if required.
- Liaise and work in collaboration with the Prison based bail officers at HMP Swansea and HMP Cardiff.
Interviewing and Assessing
- Interview the defendant and gather sufficient information to prepare a bail assessment report (National Template available on Equip)
- Assess suitability of current accommodation and whether BASS would be viable.
- Assess whether suitable for tagging; ascertain working hours, if application, to determine appropriate curfew times.
- During the gathering of information and the interview, you may identify risks to the public or known individuals, including children or vulnerable adults. Although the interview is confidential, where you have such information, you must act.
- Complete risk checks e.g. is there a history of domestic violence, child or adult safeguarding issues?
- The BIO may need to contact family or friends to ascertain viability of an address; do not disclose any information regarding the defendant’s offence/circumstances.
- You should refer for services, particularly bail support schemes, where there are possible objections to bail due to lack of accommodation or concerns about vulnerability.
- Drugs/alcohol services- find out what is available in your area. Some services provide support whilst on bail. Treatment can continue into the sentence if appropriate.
- Mental Health – all courts should have a Liaison & Diversion (L&D) team in place.
- Public protection and safeguarding referrals (Social Services) if required.
- If carers of children or adults are remanded in custody, alternative provision needs to be arranged via social services. BASS can take families, including children.
- Women’s services: Some projects offer bail support packages. For women who are vulnerable, this offers an alternative to custody.
Report Writing and Delivery
- A national bail template is available on NDelius and should be used for each case.
- Include all verified information to address specific concerns given in opposition to bail, including a risk assessment.
- If there are any objections to bail, such as a lack of suitable address, a bail report should address these and exploration of a BASS address given.
- Deliver the report either orally, or via a written report to the Court. This work must be recorded and/or produced in NDelius.
- BASS Nacro have their own referral template which needs to be completed fully and sent to their referral hub via email. A follow up call would be good practice to ensure receipt. BASS Nacro then have one hour agreed turnaround. Within prison, it is within 24 hours.
Data Collection and Weekly Project Calls
- Dial into weekly project meetings and attend monthly supervision with the project manager.
- Collect and record data information onto an excel sheet and submit these weekly.
- Work alongside the bail officer counterpart(s) within their pilot region.
- To assist in the dissemination, completion and collection of surveys for the judiciary, defendants, cps and defence communities.
- Engage with ad hoc focus groups for the purpose of evaluating the BiS pilots.
You will need to possess good IT skills and be able to ensure work is completed accurately within the timescales required. You will be able to do multi-agency work to ensure the needs of the defendants are supported.
You will be able to communicate effectively with others including your team and the defendants and have the ability to develop productive working relationships with other agencies and your team.
A current Enhanced DBS check is required for this role, which we can process for you. You will also need to undergo the National Probation Service Enhanced Level 1 Vetting prior to being able to start the post.
If you would like to be considered for this position and have the relevant experience, then please email your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
Alternatively, if this role is not for you but you do know somebody who would be interested please refer them. We have a referral bonus scheme and will pay £75, in retail vouchers of your choice, for referrals who are not already known to us.
Due to the high volume of applications received, if you do not hear from us within 7 working days, I am afraid your application has been unsuccessful.
RSR Justice is member of the Red Snapper Group.
The Red Snapper Group acts as an employment agency (permanent) and as an employment business (temporary) - a free and confidential service to candidates.
The Red Snapper Recruitment Group is an equal opportunities employer.