Red Snapper Recruitment are recruiting for a Governance and Electoral Support Administrator for a local authority in South West England.
This is a short-term temporary contract until May 2024. It’s a full-time role working 37 hours per week, based in Torquay, and paying £11.18 per hour PAYE.
Purpose of Job
- To take a proactive role in supporting the work of the Governance Support Team.
- To provide administrative support for the Governance Support Team and elected members.
- To assist with the maintenance and publication of the register of electors for the council and to assist in the organisation of all elections and referendums for the electors.
- To provide administrative support to other departments across the service area.
Main duties and responsibilities
- Act as one of the first point of contacts for people contacting the Leader of the Council, Chief Executive and Directors, exercising judgement and discretion in determining priorities and ensuring that all callers/visitors receive the highest standards of customer care.
- To provide support to members with high levels of customer focus, including assisting with correspondence, processing claims forms, arranging seminars, meetings and site visits.
- Assisting with the preparations for meetings including compiling agendas and reports, drafting minutes and associated correspondence, booking accommodation and arranging refreshments.
- Attending and taking minutes for various meetings from time to time as directed by a Governance Team Leader.
- Undertake ad-hoc project and research work and produce reports on findings under the guidance of a Governance Team Leader.
- To undertake the general administration duties of the Team, including maintaining accurate records and filing, members’ interests registers and statistical data on the work of the Team
- To ensure that Team’s web pages on the Council’s website are kept up to date and customer focused
- To assist in the preparation each year of the register of electors for the area by way of the annual canvass and rolling registration and sending monthly updates to other authorities, political parties, credit reference agencies and government departments
- To assist with the preparation for and conduct of all types of elections and referenda
- To ensure that data is handled appropriately and to observe relevant legislation associated with the supply and sale of the register of electors
- Assisting with the inspection of polling stations associated with polling reviews
- Dealing with queries from customers (including members, prospective candidates, political agents, political associations, officers, partners, schools, parents and the public) in a prompt, courteous and informative manner and providing advice and guidance about elections, electoral registration matters and public participation
- To attend appropriate courses as directed to ensure proper training and development
- To work flexibly across the range of duties of this post to ensure key priorities are met by the Team as directed by a Governance Team Leader
- Undertake other duties appropriate to the grade of the post and across wider services within the Director of Corporate Services service areas
- Excellent organisational and time management skills
- Verbal and interpersonal skills sufficient to communicate effectively, courteously, confidently and professionally with members, officers at all levels in the organisation, partners and members of the public.
- Ability to display sensitivity, tact and diplomacy in all situations with political sensitivity.
- High level of accuracy and attention to detail.
- Ability to determine priorities and complete tasks within deadlines
- A polite manner, particularly when working in circumstances where interruptions may be common.
- Ability to work accurately under pressure.
- Ability to work as part of a team, use own initiative and contribute towards the overall aims of the service.
- Commitment to providing high level of customer service.
- Ability to recognise and have regard to the need to maintain confidentiality.
- Willingness to learn and develop new skills.
- A broad understanding of local government structures
- Microsoft Office and associated programmes.
- Experience of providing high level customer service and working face to face with the public.
- Experience of working in a busy office environment.
- Experience of maintaining accurate and methodical records.
- Experience of administration/secretarial work.
- Educated to GCSE standard or equivalent.
Note for candidates
You will be required to provide a supporting statement to demonstrate how you meet the essential requirements of the role.
If you would like to be considered for this position and have the relevant experience, then please email your CV to Janet.Duhur@rsg.ltd.
Due to the high volume of applications received, if you do not hear from us within 7 working days, I am afraid your application has been unsuccessful.
RSR is a public safety, housing & enterprise security recruitment specialist. We assist public safety & housing employers find the right talent. We assist all employers when they want to source public safety, housing and enterprise security skills and experience.
Red Snapper Recruitment is a member of the Red Snapper Group.
The Red Snapper Group acts as an employment agency (permanent) and as an employment business (temporary) - a free and confidential service to candidates.
The Red Snapper Recruitment Group is an equal opportunities employer.